Sunday, December 30, 2007

Scrabble will always be my favorite sport

I'm a little behind, folks. Let's see if I can't catch you up on some noteworthy moments from December. There was a cricket match in Bangalore that I attended with some friends. In case you know as little about cricket as I did, it is a little like baseball except that (and you thought a baseball game was long...) one game lasts for FIVE DAYS and your ticket comes with lunch and tea coupons, a fact which amused me to no end. I went to the first few hours of the first day of the match between India and Pakistan. Given that the contenders were India and Pakistan I was halfway hoping for a good riot to spice things up, but no such luck*. We sat on plastic chairs and waved signs and watched the game and yelled for India, and that was pretty much it. Oh, and we got on television. And I'm pretty sure India won.

*For a little primer on Indo-Pakistani relations, and why I was hoping for a riot**, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Pakistani_relations.

**I wasn't really hoping for a riot. Riots are bad.

This is what the field looks like...


This is an infamous Pakistani fan who travels to all the team's games...

This is my friend Lizzie and I holding up the witty sign (made by Abhilash) that got us on television...

And these are the true India fans, Shash and Abhilash...

No comments: