Monday, May 26, 2008

Okay, fine.

Wow, it's been a while. Things are well here in India. I've been busy. I keep meaning to update this blog, but this weekend I saw something in Mumbai that I really want to tell you all about, so it finally compelled me to write. First, though...


I've been getting a lot of flak from people who saw my profile on Facebook change to "engaged" and think I haven't spilled enough juicy details of my life lately. (Will someone please remind me how we caught up on all the gossip before the advent of the Facebook Relationship Status?!) I never meant for this blog to be all about me (more like all about my experiences in India), but I guess it is kind of a crazy story and deserves at least a brief telling. By way of explanation, let me just transcribe a conversation I've had about 50 times this month.


Me: ...well, actually I'll be going back to the States at the end of the summer.

Them: Oh really? How come?

Me: I'm getting married at the end of the year.

Them: Oh wow! Congratulations! I didn't even know you were dating anyone...did you meet him in India?

Me: Um...yes.

Them: So who's the lucky [or unlucky, depending on your perspective] guy?

Me: His name is Christopher.

Them: So is he Indian?

Me: No, he's American and also from Seattle.

Them: So he's working in India also? For how long?

Me: Actually, he lives in Mali, West Africa.

Them: Oh.

Sometimes they get sidetracked by offering congratulations at this point, but sometimes they stare blankly, in which case I keep going.

Me: We got engaged when he visited me in India last month.

Them: That is so great! So what is Christopher doing in Mali?

Me: He's a volunteer with the Peace Corp.

Them: How long has he been there?

Me: Almost two years.

This is where they stop to try and add all the pieces up and think, "Hmm...both from Seattle, but he's been in Mali and she's been in India. If he's been there two years, that's a pretty serious long-distance relationship...how come I haven't heard about this guy before? I thought she was dating people in Seattle before she left for India. Wait, didn't she say they MET in India? I'm confused." At this point I usually put people out of their misery and clear things somewhat up by saying...

Me: So actually we weren't dating all along. Things started to get pretty serious long-distance, and he came to India to visit and everything fell into place and we decided to get married.

Then if they're really bright they'll say...

Them: Wait a minute. Didn't you just say you met in India?

Then I have no choice but to say...

Me: Okay. So the whole story is that we met online last summer while I was still in Seattle and he was halfway through his stint in Mali. We began this amazing correspondence, talked nonstop for months, and fell in love before we'd even met in person. Then, he came to India last month and it was as great as we knew it was going to be and he asked me to marry him on our second day together.

By now people are usually stammering for something to say, usually some variation of...

Them: Oh my gosh! That's the most romantic thing I've ever heard!!!

...or...

Them: You're bloody crazy. You know that, right?

So that, folks, whether romantic or really bloody crazy is the true story of how I met Christopher. The answer to your second to last question is December in the Seattle LDS temple, and the answer to your very last question, which I realize I will never, never, never live down in my whole entire life is...http://www.ldssingles.com/. Baby.







10 comments:

Genuine Draft said...

Congratulations a million times over!

Audrey said...

I'm excited for you! It's a fun story, even if people do think you're crazy.

Marcene said...

Looks like my family is really invested in this story. Thanks for the juicy details. I don't think you're crazy...okay this story is somewhere between crazy and romantic. I'd love to hear what your family has been saying. Of course we are all very happy and excited for you.

Life is Beautiful said...

It's nice to hear someone with a crazy story like mine and Bill's...I'll never live it down...met him at a funeral the later part of November, married the last day of January. O.K., so he tried to pick up on me in the BYU library a few years ealier but I wouldn't go out with him...22 years later, I couldn't be happier! By the way, if your mom hasn't told you already we go to church in the same building as Christopher's parents. (Shannon L.)AKA Life is Beautiful

what kind of a name is abra said...

LOVE IT!!!!! Someday when your a Young Women leader your girls will LOVE that story. I just laugh and tell people, 'when you know, you know!' Fifteen years later, we still LOVE each other. He is my best friend. I can't wait to meet yours, when are you coming to visit???? I'll host a party even!

Ben said...

Maybe it is both romantic and bloody crazy.

Larry said...

That's the best story ever! I was wondering how it all went down, but that is just awesome. I had no idea. Congrats again.

Anonymous said...

Awesome story! Congratulations! Grandpa was pretty excited and LOVED telling the story to everyone on Mother's day :) We hope you are doing well and we are really excited for you guys!!

Ginnie said...

I'm a friend of Christopher's from BYU-Hawaii. Congrats! I'm really happy for the two of you. You must be one awesome lady to land a guy like him!

laurak said...

Aren't you glad that Chris turned out to be so fabulous instead of having some psycho show up on your doorstep? He is only sometimes minimally crazy:) I'm sure he is equally as happy to find someone as good for him. I'm excited to meet you in person.